10-Minute Plays for Jane's Walk
Create a 10-minute performance piece inspired by a Calgary neighbourhood
Perform your piece as part of the 10th anniversary Jane’s Walk festival in Calgary
Professional theatre companies and emerging groups, and non-professional community-based groups with a track record of creating and producing performances.
Create a 10-minute theatre piece as part of the Jane’s Walk festival in Calgary. The pieces will celebrate a Calgary neighbourhood and fit into the spirit of the Jane’s Walk festival.
- Submit an application by March 31st
- Attend an event at Theatre Junction Grand on April 4, 2017: At an evening community where completed applications will be drawn by lottery and assigned a Calgary neighbourhood.
- At least one representative of the group must be in attendance at the event to accept the offer or another group will drawn instead.
- The five selected groups have one month to create their 10-Minute Play for Jane’s Walk
- On Saturday, May 6: Each group will perform their piece at Theatre Junction GRAND (space TBD on April 4).
- On Sunday, May 7: Each group will perform their piece in their assigned neighbourhood that inspired their piece.
- Schedule: TBD
- Each of the five selected groups will be given a $400 honorarium.
- Project partners can provide limited guidance on the neighbourhoods – including where to perform the piece on Sunday, May 7 – but this is mostly the responsibility of the groups themselves.
- 10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk can focus on any aspect of a neighbourhood and on almost any topic. Plays can be serious or funny, informative or exploratory, based on history or what’s happening right now; or any combination.
- 10-minute Plays for Jane’s Walk will be promoted as part of the 2017 Jane’s Walk festival weekend – but each selected group should also do their own promotion.
- Complete this application and add supporting documentation as indicated; combine into one PDF
- Email the PDF to Lizzy@theatrejunction.com with the subject line 10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk
Application Deadline: Friday, March 31, 2017, 5PM MST
What is Jane’s Walk?
A global festival of free, locally organized walking tours where people explore, talk about, and celebrate their neighbourhoods. Named after Jane Jacobs, an author and activist who championed a fresh community-based approach to city building. In 2016, over 1,000 Jane’s Walks took place in 212 cities in 36 countries across 6 continents, including 68 Jane’s Walks right here in Calgary. This year’s festival, the 10th anniversary of Jane’s Walk in Calgary, will take place May 5-7, 2017. Jane’s Walk in Calgary is organized by the Calgary Foundation
Details here: http://janeswalk.org/canada/calgary/